Updated: March 17, 2021 by Kristen Chapple
If there is one thing that most cat owners have in common today, it is living with smelly poop. Scooping that smelly litter is also never pleasant, but you have to do it anyway.
Within a very short time, the stench from the cat’s poop can take over your entire space, especially if the ventilation is poor.
If your cats’ droppings smell bad, there is no need to get stressed about it because there are easy and accessible methods of handling the problem. The most practical method is looking for the best cat food for smelly poop. Keep reading to discover the best food options to use for your cat.
Table of Contents
- The Best Cat Foods for Smelly Poop Are…
- 1. Natural Balance Dry Cat Food — Best Cat Food for Less Smelly Poop
- 2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Cat Food — Runner Up
- 3. Stella & Chewy’s Chick Chick Chicken Dinner Freeze
- 4. Purina Muse Natural Grain-Free Filets Wet Cat Food
- 5. Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food
- How to Pick the Best Cat Food for Smelly Poop
- Final Thoughts
The Best Cat Foods for Smelly Poop Are…
|1. Natural Balance Dry Cat Food|
|Check Current Price|
|2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|3. Stella & Chewy’s Chick Chick Chicken Dinner Freeze||Check Current Price|
|4. Purina Muse Natural Grain-Free Filets Wet Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|5. Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food||Check Current Price|
1. Natural Balance Dry Cat Food — Best Cat Food for Less Smelly Poop
Taking the first position in our list is this Natural Balance Dry Cat Food, which is loaded to the brim with high-quality and natural ingredients. The food rocks a grain-free formula that is easy to digest, and therefore an excellent choice to serve a cat that suffers from smelly poop.
One of the most notable things about this food is the high fiber content of 9%. The fiber works by promoting efficient digestion and absorption of food. As a high protein meal, you are sure that your feline will absorb all the amino acids it needs to build lean muscles, healthy skin, and strong ligaments.
To make this food more outstanding, Natural Balance included all the essential minerals and vitamins needed for your cat’s whole body health. You will also like the inclusion of Omega fatty acids that help to keep the immune system strong and Taurine that comes in handy to promote better eyesight.
- For senior cats
- Dry feline food
- The food is formulated with high-quality natural ingredients
- Loaded with quality fibers for efficient digestion
- Enriched with essential minerals and vitamins for whole-body health
- Contains Omega fatty acids and Taurine for better eyesight and healthy heart
- Some cats refuse to eat the food
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Cat Food — Runner Up
Coming close to our first pick is this Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Cat Food, which is carefully formulated to meet all your kitty’s nutritional needs.
With salmon as the primary ingredient, the proteins are easily digestible, helping your cat to absorb most nutrients and keeping the poop less smelly. Other sources of highly digestible proteins used in the food include chicken, eggs, and fishmeal.
The food is prepared with probiotics that work with prebiotic fibers to further enhance the process of food digestion your cat takes every day. In addition, the food also contains enough minerals and vitamins such as vitamin B2, and Vitamin C, that felines need for strong immunity.
Blue Buffalo went a step ahead and included Omega fatty acids and Taurine that help to keep cats’ eyesight strong and skin healthy. Within weeks, your cat will start changing into an attractive feline that you want to be close to most of the time.
- Proteins: 40% (minimum)
- Fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9% (maximum)
- Fat: 18% (minimum)
- Rich in amino acids that your cat needs for lean muscle development
- Contains Omega fatty acids and essential vitamins for a healthy immune system
- Formulated using Taurine for a stronger eyesight
- Probiotics and fiber in the food help to make digestion efficient
- The food is not suitable for small cats
3. Stella & Chewy’s Chick Chick Chicken Dinner Freeze
This Stella & Chewy’s Chick Chick Chicken Dinner Freeze is another popular food for addressing smelly poops in kitties. It is a high-protein food that mainly relies on the nutritional value of fresh meat.
With the proteins mainly drawn from chicken liver, chicken, and gizzard, your cat will find it pretty easy to digest, reducing the quantity of waste it poops and making it less smelly.
In addition to being efficient in fueling your cat’s everyday activities, the formula also contains a wide array of probiotics that helps support a healthy digestive system.
These probiotics work with fibers on the food to further enhance the efficiency of food digestion, which serves two purposes; reducing digestion related issues and making the poop less smelly.
To make the process of digestion more effective, your cat needs to be properly hydrated. Although this food is dry, you should rehydrate it with warm water before serving it to your kitty. This makes it as good as wet food, meaning you can also serve it even to cats with urinary related issues.
- Proteins: 45% (minimum)
- Fat: 25% (minimum)
- Fiber: 5% (maximum)
- Moisture 5% (maximum)
- The food is prepared with cage-free poultry and other GMO-free ingredients
- The formula contains easy-to-digest proteins that help to make cat’s poop less smelly
- Enriched with vitamins and minerals for whole body health
- Contains no preservatives, colors or grains
- Rehydrating the food takes some time
4. Purina Muse Natural Grain-Free Filets Wet Cat Food
A healthy, energetic, and playful cat with less smelly poop is what runs through the mind of many people when they think of their dream cats, and this Purina Muse Natural Grain-free Filets Wet Cat Food can help you to achieve it.
Every tray comes with an easy to digest combination of flaked salmon and chicken carefully set in chicken broth. We liked the food because it is pretty low in carbohydrates and does not contain corn, wheat, soy, or corn.
When Muse’s nutritionists prepared this food, they wanted your cat to have a special treat that would guarantee it the best health. This is why they used high-quality proteins and combined them with essential vitamins and minerals for a strong immune system.
So, whether your cat is old and needs a high supply of calcium or at risk of urinary tract issues and requires high water content, this is the food to buy.
Muse went a step ahead and enriched the food with Omega fatty acids that help to develop a shiny coat and healthy skin. Also, they added Taurine that works well in promoting a healthy brain and heart.
- Proteins: 12.5% (minimum)
- Fat: 2% (minimum)
- Fiber: 0.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 82% (maximum)
- Prepared using easy-to-digest proteins from fish and chicken
- Rocks a lovely flavor liked by most cats
- Contains awesome enrichments with Taurine and Omega fatty acids
- Has zero grain, corn or soy
- Prepared with fiber-heavy fat-thickeners
5. Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food
The last food on our list is this Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food that is formulated with no ingredients that can cause or worsen your feline’s poop.
The first four ingredients of the food are from top-rated protein sources, including duck, turkey, duck broth, and ground flaxseed. However, the food is made with 95% duck meat and turkey liver, which are very easy to digest and absorb.
While the food is mainly prepared using meat, it also contains a number of plant ingredients, which include carrots, peas, and flaxseed.
This ensures your cat enjoys a diversity of nutrients for better health. You will also like the fact that the carbohydrates are easy to digest and provide your cat with all the energy it requires.
The food is also enriched using minute content of menhaden fish oil, Omega fatty acids, and essential vitamins, which are crucial for a stronger immune system. Finally, it has a lovely flavor and our felines loved sinking their teeth into it.
- Proteins: 10% (minimum)
- Fat: 7.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 3% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Prepared using plenty of high-quality meat from turkey and chicken
- Enriched with veggies and fruits for a balanced supply of vitamins and minerals
- Free from grain, by-product meals or preservatives
- Comes in a lovely flavor
- Some cats refuse to take the food after sometime
How to Pick the Best Cat Food for Smelly Poop
Our five reviews above have brought out the best food that you can use to make your cat’s poop less smelly. However, you might still be wondering, “how do I pick the perfect option for my kitty?”
Here is a guide to help you narrow to the best cat food for smelly poop:
Understand What Causes Smelly Poop In Cats And The Best Way To Avoid It
Before you can set off looking for the right food for smelly poop, make sure to understand what causes the problem.
Smelly poop can come from a number of issues in your cat. Some of them include:
- Using spoiled food
- Digestive disorders
- Parasites such as tapeworms
- Stomach problems
The best food to address the issue is the type that helps to make digestion and nutrients absorption more efficient.
Look For Food That Helps With Whole Body Nourishment
While the primary focus is identifying the food that will help with smelly poop, you should also ensure it contains all the nutrients that your cat requires.
Buy From The Best Brands
Since there are so many cat food brands out there, many people often find it challenging to pick the right option. The surest way to get out of this confusion and reduce the risk of buying the wrong food is sticking with top brands.
These are cat food manufacturers such as Blue Wilderness, Purina, America Journey, and Purina Muse.
If your cat’s droppings are smelly, using the right food is a simple yet highly effective method of addressing the issue. In our reviews above, we have highlighted the best cat food for smelly poop that you can use.
In addition to helping your cat with smelly poop, the foods also contain high-quality proteins, essential minerals, vitamins, and other enrichment for whole-body health.
While we stand with the top-rated cat food for smelly poop options that we have reviewed above (they are awe-inspiring), this Natural Balance Dry Cat Food was the best of them all because its ingredients are easy to digest and absorb.