Last Updated on October 13, 2020 by Kristen Chapple
Urinary tract problems in cats are relatively common, and while they can be easily diagnosed and treated, the food you provide to your feline can help it stay free from related issues in the future.
The best food for urinary tract infections should be carefully formulated to help reduce the formation of crystals in the bladder and discourage the growth of bacteria.
If you select the right food, your cat will not just enjoy a better urinary tract system, but also whole-body health. However, selecting the right food can be tricky because of the large number of brands and variants available in the feed stores, and you may need some help choosing.
We picked the best cat food for urinary crystals and analyzed them. Keep reading to discover the best option for your feline.
Table of Contents
- The Best Urinary Cat Food Are…
- 1. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food — Best Cat Food for Urinary Health
- 2. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Urinary Hairball Control Chicken Entree — Runner Up
- 3. Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO Dry Food – Best Dry Cat Food For Urinary Health
- 4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Cat Food
- 5. Wysong Uretic Dry Cat Food
- 6. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR St/Ox Urinary Formula Dry Food
- 7. Iams ProActive Health Urinary Tract Health with Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
The Best Urinary Cat Food Are…
|1. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|2. Hill's Science Diet Adult Urinary Hairball Control Chicken Entree||Check Current Price|
|3. Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO Dry Food||Check Current Price|
|4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|5. Wysong Uretic Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|6. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR St/Ox Urinary Formula Dry Food||Check Current Price|
|7. Iams ProActive Health Urinary Tract Health with Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
1. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food — Best Cat Food for Urinary Health
Kicking off our list is this Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food. Something of a heavyweight in the pet world, Royal Canin has channeled all its effort into ensuring your cat stays free from the urinary tract issues and also enjoys whole body health.
Because it is canned food, you are sure to keep your cat hydrated, reducing most kidney-related issues.
The good thing about this food is that it is blended to help dilute excess minerals that cause bladder stones in most felines. The formula contains reduced magnesium and balanced minerals to ensure that your cat only gets enough without the risk of suffering from urinary related problems.
We liked the formula because it helps to reduce the number of health issues, including cystitis and urinary crystals. The high moisture content is also crucial in flushing out excess minerals, toxins, and keeping the cat’s circulatory system optimized.
With pork and chicken as the main ingredients, the food is tasty and will supply your cat with all the nutrients and energy it needs. The formula is enriched with Omega fatty acids that further promote a strong immune system and healthy skin.
- Crude protein: 10.5% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 2.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 2% (maximum)
- Moisture: 81% (maximum)
- Carefully formulated to help cats with urinary tract related issues
- Helps to dissolve struvite stones and lower the risk of calcium oxalate stones
- Flushes out excess minerals reducing the risk of kidney crystals
- Helps promote whole-body health
- Requires veterinary authorization
The next food to earn a spot on our list is this Hill’s Science Diet Adult Urinary Hairball Control Chicken Entree Cat Food. Formulated especially for adult cats with urinary tract problems, this food is tasty and is one of the top recommendations by vets for preventing bladder stones. You will also like it because it comes with the added benefit of tackling fur balls.
Prepared with controlled levels of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus, the food is pretty good in keeping the urinary crystals at bay. Furthermore, the food contains high moisture content that helps to keep the cat hydrated, dissolving excess minerals, and flushing them out before they can form urinary crystals.
Because it is formulated using real meat from chicken, turkey, and pork, this food’s flavor is awesome. It will satisfy your feline’s craving and supply all the amino acids it needs for better health. Furthermore, it contains vitamins, Omega fatty acids, and Taurine that help to strengthen the immune system for whole-body health.
- Crude proteins: 7% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 3.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum0
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Formulated with special focus on enhancing your cat’s urinary tract health
- Can be fed to cats of between one and six years
- Enriched with Taurine and Omega fatty acids that help to promote a stronger heart, better vision, and smooth fur
- Free from artificial colors and preservatives
- Rocks a lovely flavor that most cats love
3. Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO Dry Food – Best Dry Cat Food For Urinary Health
Royal Canin makes our list again with this Feline Urinary SO Dry Food that is formulated to support the good health of the bladder and entire urinary tract in adult cats.
We found the food very effective, especially when cats get bored with or refuse to take wet food, which happens pretty often. Like other foods from Royal Canin, this food is also very effective for supporting whole body health.
The food is formulated to promote an environment that discourages the development of calcium oxalate crystals. All the minerals used in this food are carefully balanced to ensure that your cat only gets what it needs for building strong bones and a strong immune system.
This implies that in addition to reducing the risk of urinary crystals, your cat will also be able to fight other diseases and ailments.
- Great choice for adult cats diagnosed with urinary tract crystals
- Promotes the reduction of calcium oxalate and dissolves struvite bladder stones
- Promotes dissolving of excess minerals that can cause the development of kidney crystals
- Uses relative supersaturation methodology that helps to push down ion concentration in the cat’s urine
- Only sold with a prescription from a vet
- Comes in just one flavor
The next on our list is this Focus Urinary Tract Cat Food from Purina Pro Plan, a giant that spares no effort when it comes to creating quality products. The food is carefully formulated to help address your cat’s urinary health in a number of ways.
First, it contains high moisture content that dissolves excess minerals to reduce the risk of crystals formation. Two, it is also low in magnesium, one of the primary causes of bladder stones. Whether your cat has already started developing urinary crystals or you simply want to avoid them, this is one of the best foods.
The high-quality features of this food are aimed at improving your cat’s whole-body health. Prepared using beef and chicken, the food contains all the essential proteins that your cat needs for good health.
Furthermore, it is enriched with vitamins and Omega fatty acids that promote the development of healthy hair, stronger metabolism, and immune system. Simply put, this food is one of the best choices for your feline.
- Crude protein: 12% (maximum)
- Crude fat”: 3.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 0.2% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Helps to protect your cat’s urinary crystals by lowering urinary system’s PH
- Formulated with chicken as the main ingredient
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Fortified with essential minerals and vitamins that promote whole-body health
- Results in bad smelling poops
Are you looking for urinary cat food on a budget? If yes, this Wysong Uretic Dry Cat food might be your answer. Wysong has earned itself a special place in the pet food niche with its commitment to quality foods, and this food is a testimony to that.
The food is natural, nutrient-dense, and contains balanced minerals that help to reduce the risk of urinary tract infections. Although this food has a low price tag, its formulation is remarkable and would no doubt fit a higher price.
When preparing the food, Wysong excluded excess minerals that are associated with mineral crystals in felines. Furthermore, the food contains methionine, which helps to prevent bacteria from sticking on the urinary tract cells. You will like this formulation because it also helps to reduce other fungal and bacterial infections.
As well as helping to keep urinary tract infections at bay, the food is also rich in vitamins from wholesome veggies and fruits. These vitamins work with omega fatty acids, and antioxidants to help keep the cat’s immune system in top condition.
- Crude proteins: 42% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 15% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 5% (maximum)
- Moisture : 10% (maximum)
- Good option for treating painful urinary tract conditions
- Enriched with rosemary that helps to fight allergies
- Formulated with Taurine for a healthier heart and better eyesight
- Prepared with no by-products or artificial flavors
- Can be fed to cats of all life stages
For cats that fancy dry food, this Veterinary Diets UR St/Ox Urinary Formula Dry is an irresistible treat. Like other foods from Purina Pro Plan, the food is formulated to help promote better health of urinary tract health in felines. It encourages your canine to take more water, helping to keep the problem of bladder stones away.
Another notable thing about the food is that it helps to raise the acidity of the urinary system, dissolving the crystals that could have formed in the bladder.
Because of its low level of magnesium, and balanced minerals, vets recommend this food as one of the top options for all-round health of the urinary system protection.
In addition to helping your cat keep its urinary system in top shape, this food also supplies all the nutrients that the feline needs for good health. It contains essential vitamins, including vitamin B-12 that supports healthy metabolism and antioxidants that help to reduce toxins in the body.
- Protein: 40% (minimum)
- Fat: 11% (minimum)
- Fiber: 4% (minimum)
- Moisture: 12% (maximum)
- Carefully formulated to meet the dietary needs of old cats
- Encourages your cat to take more water to remain
- Carefully blend with vital vitamins for a stronger health
- Supplies all the vital vitamins and minerals for better health of your cat
- Cannot be sold without a prescription
The last item to make our list is this Iams ProActive Health Urinary Tract Health with Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food, a feast that is carefully balanced for whole-body cat health. The ingredients are notably effective in protecting your cat’s urinary tract system from common ailments.
Most urinary stones in cats are caused by crystallization of minerals when the PH of the urinary tract system is high. To address this, the food is prepared to help pull the PH slightly down.
The effect is dissolving of the already formed urinary crystals and preventing additional crystallization. Furthermore, the food contains very low levels of magnesium, which is the primary agent in the development of urinary crystals in cats.
You will also like the lovely natural chicken flavor that most cats love. Every kibble packs a satisfying crunch that your cat will like. Furthermore, the food contains different vitamins that your cat needs for a healthy immune system. So, your cat will not only fight urinary tract infections, but other diseases too.
- Crude protection: 32% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 15% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 3% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (minimum)
- The food is prepared to help improve your cat’s urinary tract system’s health
- Enriched with vitamin E for a stronger immune system
- Contains all essential minerals that your cat needs for whole-body health
- Lovely chicken flavor loved by cats
- Some cats refuse to take the food
If your cat is struggling with urinary tract issues, especially urinary crystals, one of the seven foods that we have reviewed above will come in handy to help with the problem.
This guide digs deeper into the problem, helping you to understand it and pinpoint the ideal option for your feline. So, let us check closer.
What Are The Symptoms Of Urinary Crystals?
Urinary crystals, also known as struvite crystals, develop in the bladder, mainly because of minerals crystallization. The problem is, especially common in cats that do not take ample water.
However, determining that your cat is suffering from urinary crystals is not easy, but you can look at the following symptoms:
- Straining when attempting to urinate: In most cases, urinary crystals come with inflammation of the urinary tracts that causes pain when the cat is trying to urinate. So, if you notice that the cat is straining when trying to urinate, it could be a red flag for urinary crystals.
- Frequently trying to urinate: When urinary crystals develop, they cause a burning sensation that makes cats feel like urinating all the time. Also, the cat is likely to try and lick the urethra area more than usual during grooming.
- Bloody urine: If you notice some blood in your cat’s urine, you should head to a vet immediately. If the cat urinates indoors, this is pretty easy to note. However, you should also not give up checking even if it urinates outdoors.
- Urinating outside the litter box: If your cat urinates in a litter box, a change of behavior should signal you that something is wrong. For example, if it suddenly starts urinating outside the litter box, the chances are that it is passing a message to you. So, have it checked by a vet for different conditions, including urinary crystals.
Things To Consider When Looking For The Best Urinary Cat Food
If you suspect that your cat is suffering from urinary crystals or the vet has confirmed the issue, one of the to-do things is changing its diet.
So, here are the things to look for when looking for the best cat food for urinary crystals:
High Moisture Content
As we have already mentioned, the main cause of urinary crystals is dehydration. So, you should consider going for food with high moisture content. However, there are some dry foods that are specially formulated for cats with urinary tract infections and crystals.
Low Magnesium Content
One of the minerals that accelerates the development of urinary crystals is magnesium. Therefore, you should reduce magnesium intake for your cat to keep the problem low.
If the urinary crystals are small or the problem has not advanced, lowering the potential of hydrogen (PH) in the urinary tract can help to dissolve them and prevent the formation of new ones.
If your cat is suffering from urinary crystals, the experience is painful and can rob you of an otherwise happy feline. The good thing is that you can address it by seeking medical help and using the right food.
In this post, we have brought out the best urinary cat food that can halt the bladder stones’ problem and other urinary tract infections on their tracks. They are sourced from top brands and have a wide price range so that you can easily pick the perfect one for your feline.
While we stand with the seven best cat food for urinary crystals in our reviews above, the Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food stood out from the park and was our favorite. It is tasty and gives cats all the nutrients they need while keeping the urinary crystals and other infections at bay.