Updated: February 21, 2021 by Kristen Chapple
As a new kitty parent, one of the most daunting yet crucial decisions you have to make is choosing the best kitten food to feed your new furball friend.
But with so many canned, wet, and dry kitten food options available, how do you choose the right one?
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the different kitten foods currently on the market and checked their formulation and suitability for little cats. We’ll show you the best kitten wet food and the best dry food for kittens Let’s go!
Table of Contents
- The Best Kitten Foods Are…
- 1. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula — Best Kitten Wet Food
- 2. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula — Best Dry Food for Kittens
- 3. Wellness CORE Classic Pate Canned
- 4. Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food
- 5. Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe Natural Cat Food
- 6. Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Canned Wet Cat Food
- 7. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Babycat Instinctive Loaf in Sauce
- About Wet Kitten Food
- The Best Wet Food for Kittens
- 1. Nulo’s Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe Cat Food
- 2. Pro Plan Focus Kitten Classic Canned Cat Food
- 3. Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- 4. Purina Fancy Feast Poultry & Beef Feast Kitten Food
- 5. Tiki Cat Stix Wet Treats
- 6. Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food
- 7. Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Wet Cat Food
- A Closer Look at Dry Kitten Food
- The Best Dry Food for Kittens
- 1. Purina Kitten Chow Nurture Dry Cat Food
- 2. IAMS Proactive Health Kitten
- 3. Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food
- 4. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Kitten, Indoor
- 5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Kitten Dry Cat
- 6. Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food
- 7. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- How to Choose the Best Food for Kittens
- Final Thoughts
The Best Kitten Foods Are…
|1. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula, Canned||Check Current Price|
|2. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula, Dry||Check Current Price|
|3. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned||Check Current Price|
|4. Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food||Check Current Price|
|5. Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe Natural Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|6. Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Canned Wet Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|7. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Babycat Instinctive Loaf in Sauce||Check Current Price|
1. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula — Best Kitten Wet Food
Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula is a tested and proven feast that no kitten can resist, and also one of the best wet food for kittens. It rocks an excellent combination of naturally sourced ingredients that ensures your cat has an ample supply of all the proteins it needs to grow. Its flavor is also awesome, and our kittens looked forward to every mealtime.
The juvenile cat’s food is prepared using real-chicken meat, chicken liver, and chicken broth blended into an appetizing pate. The food is further enriched with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which are derived from fish oil and flaxseeds. This combination helps your kitten to develop lean muscles and stronger immunity.
Other notable ingredients of this food are Taurine, vitamins, and antioxidants that work together to help your kitten rock bright eyes, strong gums, healthy tummies, and lustrous skin.
Within the first week of feeding this food to our cats, they started to develop attractive skin and looked livelier.
- Crude protein: 11.0%
- Crude fat: 7.0%
- Crude fiber: 1%
- Moisture: 7%
- Formulated with antioxidants like DHA, and minerals for cognitive development
- Helps to support a strong immune system and healthy urinary tract
- Prepared with antioxidants and balanced minerals for whole kitten health
- It is 100% grain-free
- Easy to prepare
2. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula — Best Dry Food for Kittens
This Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula is our favorite and deservedly takes the first position in our list of the best dry kitten food. The kibble is prepared with chicken as the first ingredient and is really tasty for baby kittens.
What we liked most about the food is that it is carefully formulated to provide your kittens with all the proteins and minerals they need for fast growth.
In addition to ample amino acids from chicken meat, chicken liver, and chicken broth, the food is enriched with Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids. The combination goes a long way into strengthening cats’ immune systems and healthy smooth fur.
When you start feeding your cats with the food, it will take only a few days to start seeing a difference in their fur.
To be able to play, learn, and grow into a lovely cat, your kitten requires good eyesight and brain development. This is why the food is also enriched with vitamins, antioxidants, and Taurine. It is one of the best ways to turn your cat into an athlete in your home.
- Crude protein: 11.0% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 7.0% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 1% (maximum)
- Moisture: 7% (maximum)
- Contains high amounts of proteins from real chicken
- The food is prepared with ample quantities of vitamins and arachidonic acid (ARA) for proper brain development
- The formulation is good in suppressing urinary tract infections
Coming at the top of our list is this Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned Kitten Food, which is carefully formulated to meet all the needs of a kitten. It contains high quantities of good proteins and fat from chicken and turkey meat to help your kitten grow into a healthy and attractive cat. The flavor of the food is also great, and your kitten will love it.
The food also contains the vitamins and minerals that your cat requires for better health. It is enriched with Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, and Thiamine Mononitrate, which help strengthen the canine’s immune system.
To enrich the food and make it more helpful to your kitten, Wellness went a step further and included DHA, which your cat needs for healthy brain and eye development.
When you start feeding your kitten with this food, it will become stronger and more playful even in low-lit areas.
- Protein: 12.0% (minimum)
- Fat: 7.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.0% (maximum)
- Moisture content: 78.0% (maximum)
- Formulated with high-quality animal proteins and fats
- Enriched with the minerals and vitamins
- Comes with a good chicken and turkey flavor that is loved by most kittens
- Includes a balanced mix of Omega Fatty acids that helps to promote a strong immune system
- May cause your cat’s droppings to have a bad smell
Trailing our first choice is this Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food. This food is formulated to offer your kitten with all the nutrients it gets from the mother’s milk and natural meat for faster growth. It also comes with a lovely chicken flavor that cats love.
For growing kittens, the three most important nutrients are proteins, vitamins, and carbs, and Blue Buffalo factored this when formulating this food. The main ingredient in this dry food is chicken, which helps to provide high-quality proteins for strong muscles. Other ingredients include brown rice for carbs supply and veggies for vitamins.
Blue Buffalo went ahead and included antioxidants and minerals that are needed by kittens for healthy growth. Some of the most notable additional ingredients are DHA (antioxidant) and Chlorine that help with brain and eye development.
When you start using this food, you will notice the eyes becoming brighter, and the cat will become happier.
- Crude protein: 36% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 20% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9.0% (maximum)
- High-quality protein
- Formula comprises of a perfect balance of proteins, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants recommended by animal vets
- Free from poultry by-product meals, corn, soy, or artificial flavors
- Lovely flavor liked by most kittens
- Some kittens refuse to eat the food
Formulated with an amazing blend of high-quality proteins, this Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe Natural Cat Food from Instinct has become a top recommendation by vets. The food is prepared using a chicken and fish recipe that guarantees your cuties all the proteins they need for the healthy development of their muscles, blood, and ligaments. Our cats found the chicken-salmon flavor really enjoyable.
Every day in the life of a kitten is a learning moment. They learn how to play, understand their surroundings, and acquire useful skills for survival. To make this process more effective, this food comes with ample antioxidants like DHA and minerals that help to support healthy brain and eye development.
So, if you want to bring up a really intelligent cat, start using the right food, such as this Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe Natural Cat Food.
To make it easier for your kitten to absorb nutrients from the digestive system, Instinct did a great job of including healthy probiotics in the food formula. They work with crude fiber to improve the uptake of nutrients from the intestines and reduce digestion-related upsets.
- Crude protein: 12% minimum
- Crude fat: 6.0% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 1% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Prepared with real chicken, beef liver, and salmon meat
- Contains carefully balanced nutrients for whole-body health
- Contains all vitamins and minerals for a strong immune system
- Recommended for healthier brain and better eye development in your cats
- Does not contain soy or harmful conservatives
- Some people report their cats getting gassy
If your kittens are really small and you want to introduce them to taking solid food, other than the mother’s milk, look no further than this Fancy Feast Kitten Canned Wet Cat Food.
Indeed, it is carefully formulated with milk so that your kittens’ system will gradually be easily introduced to new food.
The kitten food is prepared using real-chicken that helps to supply the proteins that your cat needs for good health. Other ingredients include milk that provides amino acids needed for fast cell generation, strong immune system, and fur growth. You will also like the food’s chicken flavor that is loved so much by most felines, including kittens.
At a tender age, most of the essential organs of kittens are still developing rapidly. This is why this kitten food is enriched with vital minerals and vitamins that help with all body development.
The most notable of these nutrients are calcium and phosphorus which help with bones, ligaments, and teeth development. The balanced nature of this food has made it one of the top recommendations by animal dieticians.
- Crude protein: 11% minimum
- Crude fat: 5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture content: 78%(maximum)
- Well balanced for a healthy kitten
- Prepared using high-quality proteins from real chicken and milk
- Formulated with all essential vitamins and minerals that your cat needs for a strong immune system
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Contains Taurine for a healthy heart and good eyesight
- Some users report that their kittens refuse to take the food after some time
- It contains artificial flavors
This Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Babycat Instinctive Loaf In Sauce is another cat food whose popularity has been growing steadily, and it is pretty easy to see why – focus on quality. Royal Canin correctly insists that every cat’s needs are unique. Therefore, when feeding baby cats, the best food should provide them with all the nutrients they need for fast growth and stronger immunity.
The most notable thing about this food is the rich blend of proteins that are carefully selected to help your cat develop lean muscles, making it a playful and healthy feline.
Because the cat is still growing and active, the food also contains an ample supply of healthy carbs. So, you can feed the kitten without worrying about becoming overweight.
Royal Canin also knew that little kittens, especially those being introduced to dry food, might still be developing their teeth. Therefore, they prepared the food in an easy-to-chew loaf texture and lovely aroma that your kittens will like.
- Proteins: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 3% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 2.1% (maximum)
- Formulated with well-balanced proteins, carbs, and vitamins for the healthy growth of the kitten
- Enriched with vitamins and antioxidants for baby cat’s immune system
- Can be served to both kittens and pregnant cats
- Designed with an easy to chew loaf texture
About Wet Kitten Food
Kitten food can be broken into two main groups: wet and dry foods. Let us take a closer look at the two to help you make the decision which one is better for your baby friend.
Let’s start with wet food, which is also referred to as canned food (although some wet foods do come in pouches as well), derives its name from the fact that it contains very high levels of moisture. Wet food is considered a good option for kittens because they can use it without the risk of suffering dehydration.
It is also a better option, especially when weaning kittens that were previously used to mother’s milk.
Other benefits of using wet food include:
- There is no risk of your kitten suffering from dehydration
- The soft texture makes it easy even for sickly kittens to eat
- They are flavored, and most kittens love them
We hand-picked the best kitten wet food options in the market and analyzed them. Read through our post to learn about their formulation, suitability for your cat, and pinpoint the best option.
The Best Wet Food for Kittens
We love this Nulo’s Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe and just had to include it in our roundup of the best canned kitten food. It certainly is one of the top recommendations by vets today.
Indeed, we were not surprised because Nulo spares no effort to ensure that all the foods it formulates are of high quality. From the ingredients of this food to its flavor, everything is designed for perfection.
The food is prepared using high protein content, which is mainly sourced from turkey and chicken. This helps to supply your kitten with all the proteins it needs for lean muscles and fast cell development.
To ensure the food contains all the amino acids for better health, Nulo also included tuna. With this food, you are sure of promoting a healthy “athlete” right at home.
When they are growing up, kittens are faced with a lot of diseases that affect their systems.
However, this food is prepared with essential vitamins, minerals, and Omega fatty acids that help to strengthen their immune systems. This means two things; your kitten will be able to fight most diseases, and your trips to the animal doctor will be fewer.
- Crude protein: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fat 6.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 0.75% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Contains high quantity of proteins to support early kitten development
- Formulated with all essential nutrients such as vitamins and omega fatty acids
- Helps to keep your kitten well hydrated all the time
- Contains zero wheat, corn or soy
- Free from preservatives and flavoring
One of the best things that you can do to a cat is helping it to feel natural, and this Focus Kitten Classic Canned Cat Food from Purina Pro Plan does exactly that. The ingredients are carefully selected to ensure that your kitten gets high quantities of real meat.
If you ask a vet about cat foods, he/she will tell you that they should contain a wide range of amino acids. This food is formulated with chicken, chicken fish, and liver to offer all the amino acids that a kitten requires in the early stages of development. Because they are real animal-based proteins, your cat will feel and look natural.
Another notable thing about this canned food is that it contains all the minerals needed for a healthy kitten. It is prepared with enough calcium and phosphorus that help to strengthen the cat’s teeth, bones, and ligaments.
The strong bones work with lean muscles, offering a good foundation for a strong, playful, and attractive cat.
- Proteins: 12% (minimum)
- Fat: 6% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 76.5 (maximum)
- With Taurine to help to build a healthy heart and strong eyesight
- Contains omega fatty acids and zinc that helps with the development of an attractive and shiny coat
- Prepared with real animal meat
- Comes with a lovely flavor
- The high levels of phosphorous make it less desirable for kittens with kidney issues
Wellness makes our list again with this protein-rich food, a carefully formulated feast that most kittens find hard to resist. We were impressed by the formulation because it is grain-free and contains all the proteins that your little cat needs for good growth. Although expensive, this is one of the foods you can trust for the good nourishment of your kittens.
The bulk of the ingredients used to supply protein — such as chicken broth, and chicken liver — come from real animals. This is important in ensuring your cat gets all the essential amino acids for better health.
It is also rich in minerals, which are carefully balanced for optimal performance of the kitten’s internal organs. Some of the most notable include copper proteinate, calcium, and phosphorus that help to strengthen the cat’s bones, ligaments, and teeth.
You can only be sure of a good kitten’s health if its immune system is strong. To achieve this, this food contains all essential vitamins, including Vitamin A, Vitamin B, and Vitamin D.
In addition to strengthening the immune system, the vitamins work with Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to help give your kitten a smooth and attractive coat.
- Rich in essential minerals and Omega fatty acids for a healthy skin coat
- Enriched with Taurine for a healthier heart, stronger eyesight, and brain
- Contains high quantities of proteins that make your cat feel natural
- Prepared with no preservatives, coloring or artificial flavors
- Has antioxidants and minerals that make the food good for urinary system’s health
- May result in bad smelling droppings
Delicious and nutrient-rich are the two words that can be used to describe this poultry & beef feast kitten food.
The food is formulated with the primary focus being to offer kittens with a smooth transition as they shift from the mothers’ milk to solid food. As the name suggests, this is a true feast, and your kittens will love it.
The food is prepared using high-quality ingredients, which helps to supply all the nutrients that your kitten needs. You have the option of selecting the food with salmon or chicken as the number one ingredient. In addition, the food is enriched with milk for the supply of all the amino acids that the cat needs.
Serving this food is another convenience that makes it unique in the flooded market. The food is packaged in convenient pull-tab cans that make serving easy and fast. You simply feed one can per three to three-and-half pounds of kittens’ body weight.
- Crude proteins: 11% (maximum)
- Crude fat: 5% (minimum)
- Fiber : 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture 78% (maximum)
- Real meat ingredient from salmon and chicken
- Well balanced with all the nutrients that your little cat needs for healthy growth and development
- Prepared to meet all the nutritional needs of a growing kitten
- The texture feels hard and might not be suitable for kittens that prefer soft-textured food
For pet lovers with cats at different stages, including kittens, selecting food that can be used by all of them is a great idea, and that is one of the reasons why Tiki Cat formulated the Stix Tuna Grain-Free Cat Treats.
The food contains high quantities of proteins drawn from animals to make your feline feel natural and stay healthy.
Featuring quality protein sources such as tuna and eggs, this food is a tasty treat that your kitten will like. It provides all the amino acids that your little feline wants for strong muscles and healthy growth. In addition, it rocks a chicken flavor that even the picky kittens find irresistible.
We also liked the food because it helps to build a stronger immune system for your cat. Tiki Pets used natural tuna that supplies high quantities of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to your cat.
These fatty acids work with minerals and vitamins in the food to give your little feline a smooth and attractive coat.
- Protein: 9% (minimum)
- Fat : 2% (minimum)
- Fiber: 0.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 88% (maximum)
- The food is suitable for kittens as well as adult cats
- Prepared with high-quality proteins derived from real tuna
- Rocks a creamy texture and lovely flavor that makes it easy for kittens to eat
- Comes with convenient packs of individually-wrapped single servings for easy feeding
- Some kittens refuse to eat the food after sometime
Next on our list is this Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food that makes kittens keep asking for more all the time. The food is formulated to offer your kitten with quality and balanced nutrients for whole body growth and development.
Particularly, we liked the food formulation because it does not contain by-product meals, wheat, or soy.
The bulk of this food is prepared using real meat proteins from chicken, chicken liver, eggs, and fish oil, which helps kittens to develop lean muscles. Furthermore, the food is enriched with vitamins and minerals derived from healthy sources, such as fruits and veggies.
At an early stage, your kitten’s brain, heart, and eyes are still developing and should be supported with the right minerals.
Blue Buffalo thought about this too and included Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a crucial nutrient that kittens need for brain and eye development in vitro and early stages of development.
- Proteins: 11% (minimum)
- Fat: 7.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Comes in a savory gravy that makes it easy and enjoyable even for very young kittens
- Prepared with high-quality proteins from real animals
- Contains DHA for healthier brain and cognitive development
- Does not contain artificial flavors and grains
- Kittens easily get bored with the food
There is nothing as lovely as seeing your healthy kittens play happily with their mother on the lawn. This Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Wet Cat Food was formulated to make this scenario an everyday reality in your home. The food is prepared to meet the specific needs of growing kittens, especially those between one and four months. Indeed, it is also a great option for pregnant cats, providing the kittens with the best nutrition for kittens in vitro.
The food is prepared with high protein content sourced from chicken to provide your kitten with all the proteins it requires for healthy growth. Besides, it contains essential vitamins, such as L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate and Thiamine Mononitrate, which your kittens require for healthy growth and development.
To make it well balanced, it also contains minerals such as calcium, phosphates, and carotene for healthy bones, teeth, and ligaments development.
- Proteins: 9% (minimum)
- Fat: 4% (minimum)
- Moisture: 81% (maximum)
- Contains beneficial probiotics for healthy digestive systems of your kittens
- Enriched with DHA for good heart and brain development
- Supports a strong cat immune system
- Can be fed on both kittens and nursing mothers
- Contains chicken and pork by-products
- The formula contains wheat gluten
A Closer Look at Dry Kitten Food
Dry kitten foods are recommended because they are nutrient-dense, allowing your baby cats to develop into attractive and strong cats. When selecting dry food, you should be guided by the nutrients that you want your kittens to have.
But when you visit any animal feed store, the large number of kibble options can overwhelm you and pose a serious dilemma.
For example, if your kittens are about nine months and are getting more active, you should go for the dry food that will deliver more healthy calories and proteins. The main problem with dry food is that it can easily result in dehydration. Therefore, you might opt to select the dry cat food that is prepared using warm water.
If you prefer the option that is taken when completely dry, ensure that your cat has ample access to clean water.
Other unique benefits of dry food for kittens include:
- Dry food helps kittens to exercise their teeth
- Kittens can use dry food to prevent tartar development in their teeth
- The food can be served to your kittens without worrying about messing up the feeding area
We now look at the best kitten dry food on the market and reviewed them. Read through our reviews to learn more about the best foods, and pick the perfect option for your little felines.
The Best Dry Food for Kittens
How could we not mention Kitten Chow Nurture, a uniquely formulated feast for kittens? It’s easily one of the best dry kitten food you can get. It’s formulated with the four foundational building blocks of nutrition; proteins, DHA, essential nutrients, and antioxidants.
The main ingredient in the kibble is protein, which constitutes more than 40%. Although the main source of protein is chicken, it also includes other sources such as liver and fish meal. We liked the protein combination because it implies that the kittens can have an ample supply of all essential amino acids for building lean muscle and overall body health.
Another outstanding thing about this kitten food is that it is rich in docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA) that are very crucial for brain and vision development. Besides, the food contains 25 essential vitamins, such as Vitamin B12, and Vitamin B3, which help to strengthen the immune system of cats, even at young ages.
- Crude proteins: 40% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 12.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 2.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 12.0% (Maximum)
- High protein made from natural sources
- Formulated to provide kittens with essential nutrients just like their mother’s milk
- Loaded with fatty acids and ADA that help to support better vision and brain development
- Contains all minerals and vitamins for a healthy immune system
- Sold affordably
- The ingredients contain soy and corn gluten meal
Coming next on our list is this IAMS Proactive Health Kitten food, which is carefully formulated for active baby cats. The main ingredient used to prepare this food is protein sourced from chicken meat, chicken oil, and eggs. Further, the food contains fish oil, which helps to diversify the amino acids available for your cat.
Another outstanding ingredient in this food is the inclusion of most vitamins that your kittens need for a stronger immune system.
The food contains high concentrations of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and essential minerals that help to strengthen the cat’ immune system. Furthermore, antioxidants and minerals work together to promote a healthy heart and brain development.
When small, the teeth of your kittens are still fragile and can easily get damaged if tartar starts building on them. However, this food is formulated with essential minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus that promote stronger teeth. Also, the kibble has a crunchy texture that allows the cat to remove tartar when feeding.
- Crude protein: 42.2% (minimum)
- Crude fat. 21% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10.0% (maximum)
- Prepared with high-protein content for a healthy cat
- Enriched with probiotics for a more effective digestive system
- Can be used for both young kittens and pregnant cats
- Provides your cat with all the minerals to needs for faster growth
- Contains corn gluten meal
For pet lovers with little kittens and their mothers, using different foods can be a challenge. Think of a situation where young kittens rush to the mother’s plate and eat food formulated for adults.
To avoid such a scenario, you need food such as this IAMS ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food, which works well for both kittens and their mother or pregnant mother.
This food is formulated to help meet the unique needs of indoor cats and kittens. The main ingredient of this cat food is chicken and chicken by-product, dried plain beef, and turkey.
Because it is formulated for indoor kittens and cats, the food contains 10% less fat compared to other common formulas. Vets also recommend this kibble because it contains fat-burning L-carnitine, which helps cats shed excess weight. This is very crucial in helping to prevent the problem of diabetes in cats.
- Crude proteins: 30% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 8.3% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Carefully balanced food for healthy cats
- Combination of ingredients for the supply of diverse nutrients
- Crunchy texture that helps to keep the teeth of your kitty clean
- Good for both kittens and their mother
- Diverse vitamins and minerals for stronger bones, teeth, and immune system
- Contains chicken byproducts
Does your cat spend most of the time indoors? If the answer is “yes,” the food you give it should be different from what is offered to outdoor felines. One of the best options is Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food. The food is formulated with lean proteins and low carbs that help your baby cats develop without risking being overweight.
As a kitty, every part of the body is growing. This is why Hill’s Science Diet used chicken, which contains most of the amino acids that your four-legged friend needs.
To make the food well balanced and reliable for the whole cat’s body health, the formula also includes healthy rice for an ample supply of carbs. Even though your kitten takes most of the time indoors, you need to ensure that its bones and teeth are as strong as possible.
Hill’s Science Diet also factored that and included all the minerals, including calcium and phosphorus, that the feline requires to feel natural.
- Protein: 33.5% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 16.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Formulated with natural probiotics and fiber for healthy digestion
- Contains minerals and antioxidants like DHA that helps with eye development and promotes healthy brain development
- Antioxidants used in the food work with vitamins to strengthen the immune system
- Made with no artificial colors and preservatives
- It can result in stomach upsets if introduced suddenly
The last cat food to make our list of the best food for kittens is this Nutro Wholesome Essentials Kitten Dry Cat. The food is carefully formulated using chicken as the primary ingredient to guarantee your baby cat ample supply of proteins.
Further, the food contains brown rice, which helps to supply enough energy that your kitty requires for faster growth.
One thing that makes this food stand out is that it is free from genetically modified objects (GMO) or growth stimulants. All the ingredients are sourced from Nutro’s trusted suppliers and farmers who use free-range systems for their chicken.
To help make your kittens healthier, the food is loaded with vital minerals and Omega-3 fatty acids. But Nutro did not stop there. They further enriched the food with antioxidants and DHA that help to promote strong brain development and good eyesight. These nutrients are also crucial in helping kittens develop healthy skin and smooth fur.
- Crude proteins: 36% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 19% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10%.
- Provides a perfect balance of proteins, carbs, and vitamins
- Prepared using meat from real chicken
- Contains minerals and Omega-3 fatty acids for stronger immunity
- Made with non-GMO ingredients from trusted farmers
- The food might cause smelly droppings
If you are looking for the best kitten food on a budget, one of the best options out there is this Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food. The food is carefully formulated with all essential proteins that your cat needs for better health and faster growth.
Like a wild cub, your kitten is an obligate carnivore, having a body tuned for meat only diet. This is why the food is prepared with high protein content, mainly from cage-free chicken.
Therefore, you are sure that your little cats will get an ample supply of amino acids for muscles and ligaments development. To make the food completely balanced for a kitten, Diamond Naturals also included vital vitamins from fruits and vegetables.
For your cat to become the lovely pet you want after taking the best food, it should be able to absorb all the nutrients, and this food was formulated to facilitate that. Particularly, it contains probiotics and high-fiber content that serves two purposes; promoting good health of the digestive system and enhancing the uptake of nutrients.
With this enhanced uptake, you can anticipate starting seeing changes in your kittens after a couple of days after shifting to this food.
- Protein: 34% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 22% (minimum)
- Fiber: 2.0 (maximum)
- Formulated with high-protein content from cage-free chicken
- Carefully balanced proteins, vitamins, and carbs for enhanced kitten health
- Food is free from artificial flavors and grains
- Enriched with all the vitamins that your kitten requires for healthy growth
- Your kitten might not like the taste
Blue Buffalo Wilderness makes our list of best kitten dry food again and closes it with this highly cherished Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food.
Like most Blue buffalo products, this food is prepared with chicken as the main ingredient for a high supply of proteins and amino acids that kittens need for fast growth. This was aimed at giving the kittens a natural treat that is close to what their cousin felines in the wild get.
Every bite provides your kittens with probiotics that help to create the right environment for food digestion and absorption. Also, the food contains high quantities of fibers that help to optimize the efficiency of food uptake in the gut.
To make the food well balanced, it also contains all essential minerals and vitamins. The most notable of these include Vitamin B3, Vitamin B7, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin C. Other ingredients that make this kitten kibble stand out include Omega-6 fatty acids that are derived from flaxseed and taurine.
- Protein: 40% (minimum)
- Fat: 20% (minimum)
- Fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9% (maximum)
- 100% grain-free diet
- Prepared using real chicken meat
- Formulated using essential minerals and useful vitamin for better kitten health
- Supports healthy digestion with high fiber content and probiotics
- Mixed with Tocopherols, a preservative
How to Choose the Best Food for Kittens
After reading our kitten food reviews, you are now closer to identifying the best option for your baby cats. In this last step, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide to help you narrow down to the best kitten food that you have been looking for:
When selecting your kitten food, it is advisable to think of the cat as a wild feline. This will help you to imagine it roaming naturally in the wild so that you only get the food suited for it. For a kitten, here are the main nutritional needs.
High Calorie Content
When people think of cats, what runs through their minds are lazy felines that take most of their time sleeping. But this is not true.
Take a closer look at your kitten, and you will realize that it is like a toddler with tremendous energy. Therefore, one of the main considerations when selecting food is calorie content.
Here, you should target getting a formula that offers your cat an ample supply of calories for growth and success. However, you should ensure that the bulk of the calories are derived from proteins and fats as opposed to carbohydrates.
High Protein Content
We have already mentioned that cats require a lot of calories, but the type that is derived from fats and proteins. This is because they are obligate animals with digestive systems tuned to digest fats and proteins as opposed to carbohydrates.
In addition to providing your kittens with the calories they need, protein is also very important in tissue building. Your kittens will be able to extract amino acids, which act as building blocks for their cells, ligaments, and blood.
As a general rule of the thumb when selecting the proteins for your kitten, it is advisable to avoid those that are plant base because they do not have all the necessary amino acids for the proper functioning of your feline.
While it is true that the bulk of the kitten food should be prepared from proteins, it is also crucial to ensure it is diverse enough. Vets recommend that your kitten should be offered with low-carb food so that they can draw additional minerals for healthy growth and development.
We agree with the vets, and further recommend that you go for the food with carbs derived from fruits, such as blueberries and raspberries instead of grains like corn or soy.
Like a human body, your kitten needs more than proteins and carbs. So, look for the food that comes with additional ingredients that can help to strengthen the kitten’s immune system, promote stronger bones, brain development, and better eyesight.
Some of these additional ingredients include Omega-6 fatty acids, Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins calcium, Taurine, and phosphorus.
To help your kitten develop a good digestive system, some animal feed manufacturers also include fibers and probiotics.
Things to Avoid
Now that we have looked at the things that you should look for in a kitten food, we will not tell you the things that you should avoid.
Because you want your kitten to be healthier and natural, any component or ingredient that can compromise its growth or damage its organs should be avoided.
Check some of the things to avoid below:
- Chemical preservatives like ethoxyquin and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)
- Artificial flavors and colors
- Food with ingredients such as soy and corn
- Food prepared with GMOs
Since kittens are young and their body systems not fully developed, you want to ensure that only the best food is served to them. However, you cannot trust every food that is available on the shelves because some brands are simply interested in optimizing profits and not in customer value.
To avoid falling into the tricks of salespeople who can tell you that a specific brand is good for kittens when it is not, you should consider sticking with top brands that are respected for high quality, such as Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and Nutro.
Searching for the right kitten food requires a lot of care because your little feline is still young and should be given the right food. Our top kitten food reviews have highlighted the best that the market has to offer.
The foods on our list are carefully formulated to help your cat stay healthy and enjoy every moment. The foods are also picked from brands that spare no effort to ensure your baby cat gets the best.
Although the nine leading cat foods in our review are outstanding (we really liked them), we think Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula stood out from others and is the best food for kittens. It’s a wet food that has high protein content, essential minerals, vitamins, and flavors that kittens love.