Friendly Claws is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Can Cats Eat Grapes?

Updated: August 10, 2022 by Kristen Chapple

Since they are easy to get throughout the year in the form of raisins or as delicious grapes during autumn, this fruit is the favorite dessert for many and, as it often happens with our pets, we might want to let them have a try of what we seem to enjoy so much. Let us find out together can cats eat grapes or are there some problems to consider?

The Nutritional Value

The carbohydrates along with many vitamins are the main contents of a grape with many things that are useful for cats as well such as calcium, iron, magnesium or potassium but they also contain elements that seem to be toxic for dogs and cats.

Side Effects

It is unclear what is the precise cause of problems for cats when it comes to grapes or raisins since it’s not the same reaction with all cats, some of them can eat a small amount without problems, but for most cats the symptoms can start a few hours after the ingestion.

The first things appearing are diarrhea and vomiting after which a state of lethargy, lack of appetite, decreased urination and general weakness combined with abdominal pain will appear. These are the signs of kidney failure and intoxication and this serious condition could even lead to death so make sure you rush to the vet as soon as you know that your cat has eaten grapes or raisins.

Cats with previous kidney problems or diseases are considered to be more predisposed to these symptoms and it also depends on how much they eat. Take into consideration that raisins are more concentrated than grapes so a smaller quantity is needed.


Don’t wait for the symptoms to appear before going to the vet if you are sure that your cat has invested grapes or raisins because the earlier the treatment starts the better it will be for your pet. Vomiting will be induced and then activated charcoal will absorb the toxins left in their stomach after which the cat will be kept under observation. In more severe cases IV fluids and supportive care can go on for more than one day so the bill will probably increase, not to mention the pain your cat will be in.

As we mentioned, the faster you make the cat eliminate the toxic grapes from their system the quicker the recovery will be. If you stay in a remote area and it will take some time to get to the veterinarian then you might have to do a bit or preparation yourself.

To make your cat vomit you can give them hydrogen peroxide at a quantity of one teaspoon for 10 pounds of body weight and if it doesn’t work the first time try again after a quarter of an hour. This is the recommended choice so don’t use other things that can induce vomiting such as the ipecac syrup because you will only increase the cat’s toxicity level!

Short Answer:

No, they can cause the sudden failure of their kidneys.

About The Author

Scroll to Top